If you ever come across an old, vintage box of shotgun shells then there is a possibility that they are no good. However, the box and shells are fun to look at and many people are considering them to be collectible because of their unique colors and designs on the boxes. So, we have created a display for our old box of shells so that we can enjoy them everyday. The first thing that you are going to need is a small display frame. Ours is an exact square that we picked up at a yard sale. The back was missing but that doesn’t stop us from re-purposing it.
1. Pick out a display frame.
2. Fix it up if it’s used. In this case we had to make a new backing for it.
The box of shells that we got came from a family member however, you can find them anywhere online or just keep an eye out! Collecting these old shotgun shells can be a great hobby AND a great investment. For those who are investing, I probably wouldn’t rip up the box like we are about to do. We are collectors, not investors and seeing our shotgun shells displayed like this is a great way to enjoy our collection and celebrate the past.
3. Next, we pick out the shells that we want to display along the bottom of the frame. You’ll notice that we mixed in one, different shell for a nice contrast.
4. Then we began to break down the box to pick out the sides that we wanted.
5. We attached the shotgun box pictures that we cut up to the backing, using different sides of the box to show off the different artwork.
Once our backing was complete, all we had to do was piece it all together. Many of these old shells have a cardboard cover because shotgun shells have undergone many changes over the years. That’s why finding them now is such a treat for collectors because they are so unique looking.
6. Here’s a close-up of the box in the frame.
7. And finally, here is the finished product!
Even if you don’t like shotgun shells for yourself don’t hesitate to buy the next, old box that you come across to create this as a gift for one of the GunCravers in your life!